Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Etsy and Me

Land of Bor3d is new to Etsy and results are still questionable. When asked to describe my items I draw a blank. Of course I know that hat, cap, beanie, scarf should come into play, but I am at a loss for what consumers are going to type in. I am reading all the blogs and trying to get my views up, but I still feel like I am missing something. I take joy in everything I make and I still am constantly in amazement when people look at what I consider art and think "what is the point?."

One of the things I struggle with is trying to explain the differences between knitting and crochet. When questioned about the difference between knit and crochet I find myself "dumbing down" for people. I explain that the difference between the two is two needles vs. one, when truly there is more to it than that. Answer me this, do people really want to know the difference?.

It also seems that the masses think that store bought, factory made, cheap items are of the same quality or better than handmade items. On one side it seems that people are becoming more interested in unique, handmade gifts, but on the other side I don't see anyone dawning these items or placing them in their homes. I constantly debate on the idea of buying a $200 print from Pier One that are no where near "one of a kind" or searching for local art that is unique and refreshing. Reprints feel so impersonal, but every house I go to I see them hanging on the wall. Does anyone else feel this way?

Lost in Thought,
~B

No comments: